So, here we are. So much has happened since we left, it will be hard to chronicle, so I figure I’ll just start off with some impressions of Japan.
1. Maybe it’s obvious, but there’s not a lot of English spoken here, and the address/street naming system is nonexistent. Getting places without a meticulously detailed map is extremely challenging. Unfortunately, finding these theoretical meticulously detailed maps is equally challenging, so there’s quite a bit of wandering about. While this is no problem generally, since the wandering in Tokyo is often as fascinating as the destination, it can pose a problem when you have 35 pounds of bags strapped to you.
2. Japanese in Tokyo do not let their limited English stop them from helping you in any way they can. We must look as clueless as we are, because we’ve been approached several times by people of various ages offering their assistance. It doesn’t always help, but the spirit is cheering when you’re lost. In New York, I would laugh at pouty-faced tourists trying miserably to shift between an accordioned map and guidebook, staring at a talking ticket vending machine with a mixture of confusion and terror. Here, that combination is a mating call.
3. Being a devotee of the wonderful engrish.com, I had nonetheless assumed that T-shirts with absurd English phrases were relatively rare in Japan. Very, very wrong. The phrases range from the curious and misplaced (“A love is never too much to give”) to utterly bizarre gibberish (“Kick restraint: getting there is a measure of things you do for school”).
4. Very many things are shrimp-flavored. This can be quite dangerous, especially in liquid form.
5. The sushi is, in fact, very good. We woke up early this morning and, after bumbling our way through the metro (see observation #2, repeatedly and expensively), made our way to Tsukiji fish market to experience the early catch and take photos of discarded fish heads. Afterwards, we found a row of tiny sushi bars nearby, the proprietors of which presumably walk the recently deceased fish across the street and serve it up. I am not a sushi fanatic, though I dabble, but people are not lying or exaggerating when they talk about sushi in Japan. This is the real deal, people.
6. In their ads, the Japanese seem to love borrowing the most colorful English superlatives, and then using them to modify milquetoast nouns. Witness, “Exciting Hall!” Or, “Wow! Prawns!” On the excitement continuum, I see prawns as registering slightly south of “nifty,” but I guess I can drop that in the “lost in translation” bucket.
Love it so far. We will keep you posted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I've decided two things:
1. I would not do well in Japan because of the wandering and the fact that I'm allergic to shrimp. That doesn't seem like a good fit to me.
2. I need to wander more on vacations. That's when the really fun shit seems to happen.
I enjoy that, when only one comment has been posted, the link reads *one comments*. It makes me feel like Blogger is in Japan with me.
Hey! So happy to hear about your trip so far. This blogging thing you've discovered is neat - I think it might really catch on!
I am guessing that the shrimp flavor has little to no actual shrimp in it. The Japanese also clearly focus group test their gatorade to adapt it to their taste buds. I swear I could taste some prawn in the bottle I drank yesterday.
you 2 going to try and see a baseball game in Japan?
LOL! So glad you guys made it safely there! Remember: It's the journey not the destination! Keep us posted..this is a fantastic blog! Hugs and kisses!
Need to hear more. Am already addicted, and will blame you if I turn to heroin if you do not reply.
You're a WONDERFUL writer and I must hear more.
What do people look like? What does it smell like? Who are you meeting?
More, more more!!! Puh-leeze. Really. In
truly.
Whooops. Long story short -- "Zo" is Sherri Phillips (hope this isn't read too widely) -- and I'm dying to hear more.
MMMMM SHRIMP FLAVOR.... tastes like chicken!
Glad to hear your first impressions. Very cool. Do they have spicy tuna there? Or is that an American thing. Oh yeah- PLEASE have a piece of uni for me (Claire) with quail egg if possible.
Karen shouts "HEEEEEY"
Oh yeah- SAKI BOMBS!!!!! (one for Karen too)
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071210013649AAJr7u7
Answers!
Yes, we are going to a baseball (yakyu!) game. Tonight, in fact; just bought our tickets. We are seeing the mighty Hanshin Tigers, the Red Sox of the Japan League, visiting the less-than-mighty Yokohoma Baystars, who are more akin to the Pirates minus 1960. I will definitely post some reactions after the game.
Sherri, dont worry, the blog isnt publically published and it shouldnt show up on search engines. I like your questions, and Im thinking up some longer-format answers.
Jaron, the shrimp flavor definitively does not taste like chicken. I am at a loss to explain its taste, other than that it also doesnt taste definitively like shrimp.
Spicy tuna is an American thing. So, I believe, are sake bombs.
Everyone else sending their good wishes, thanks, and keep checking in!
Some new Engrish-type slogans:
I want to play thoroughly on a beach.
Machine Mechanic
Antique Garage
Sexy Pub Love Chance
All T shirts appear to be written in English only. No T shirt slogans in Japanese symbols so far.
In other news, Chinatown is Chinatown wherever there is Chinatown. I am sure that surprises no one. Not much variation, but still fun for a midafternoon stroll. Yokohamas Chinatown had a cool shrine though!
Also, the cartoons on billboards and signs above stores and restaurants are hilarious. I will try to get some of those pictures up here to demonstrate at some point.
Hope you guys are having a fantastic time...Keep the posts and emails coming ;)
Post a Comment