Breakfast: Digestive biscuits at the train station in Hong Kong (all I could afford with the remaining Hong Kong Dollars I had)
Lunch: OK, digestive biscuits again (why are they called digestive biscuits? Is it to differentiate them from non-digestible biscuits?)
Dinner: Shredded pork with noodles, beer, and some kind of boiled chicken, with skin, served with ham and chicken liver. Very, very good. Ordering was a challenge, though, as the waiter spoke no English. Lots of waving hands about, signaling, pointing, grimacing, etc. Worth it.
An aside: as we all know, it's generally good to learn a few basic phrases when visiting another country. Not in China. While I'm sure that it could potentially make certain things, like finding the secret Metro station, considerably easier, Chinese is a tonal language. It's thus very easy to try and order a beer, but end up calling your waiter a toaster by mistake. So I'm going to stick to waving about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
The name "digestive" derived from the belief that they had antacid properties due to the use of bicarbonate of soda when they were first developed. Mmmm, Tums cookies!
Huh! So it's all a big fat lie! Fortunately, I continue to digest efficiently even with these phony "digestive" biscuits. Although I do feel a bit betrayed now.
speaking of food....
can each of you give me some answers?
best food on the trip that you have had previously in the US in a crappy version. where in asia was it?
best food on the trip that you have never experienced before. where?
Hmmmm...good questions, Ken. We have eaten so well on this trip, and I have every reason to believe that we will continue to do so. So far, we only have the food in Japan and China to report on.
While I have had some crappy sushi in the US, I have also had some very good sushi. That said, the sushi that we had at the fish market in Tokyo was hands down the best sushi that I had ever had. Unbelievably fresh.
Chinese food is obviously very different here in China than it is in the US, and it's fantastic. While I do enjoy my General Tsao's Chicken at home, I have tried some much cooler things here. Still no pigeon yet, or rat or dog (while pigeon may still happen, rat and dog definitely won't). Today we had beer fish which was fantastic. Couldn't tell you why it's called beer fish (don't think there was any beer used in the sauce), but it was damn good, and I had never had it before.
Other tasty foods we have tried: some beef and pumpkin dish; some chicken with liver and ham; oh, the dumplings are great! That probably falls under the "better than home" category. Oh, great noodles in Yokohama.
That's all I can think of. I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but Aaron can fill that in with his answer. Plus, I am sure you didn't bargain for this novel of an answer. Sorry!
I am now entirely moved into NJ and have an internet provider, therefore I am back to reading your wonderful adventure blog. I just wanna say that due to poverty I often shopped a the Chinese Marker while living in Queens and Digestive Biscuits are the best thing ever for tea.
Post a Comment